Frequently Asked Questions

Boilers & Heating

When I move into a property, should I service my boiler?
When taking over a new property as a private owner servicing the boiler should be considered as a major priority especially if there isn’t any history of recent servicing or inspection – look for a boiler benchmark log book for a history of gas safe registered engineers’ visits.

Servicing a boiler or any gas appliance will ensure the appliance is operating correctly – safety and efficiency being top priority.

If you are a tenant moving into a rental property, make sure you have a copy of the mandatory safety inspection report coving all gas appliances within the property.
When would be a good time of the year to service my boiler?
All manufactures recommend that your boiler is serviced on an annual basis and as such no time of year is better than any other time as most boilers operate throughout the year either supplying heating and hot water (winter months) or hot water only (summer months).

However, there are likely to be peak periods such as late autumn or early winter and so should either appointments or parts required not be available, it is possible that delays in having a service carried out could arise which could lead to periods of problematic boiler operation.
How do I know if my boiler needs replacing?
If you are finding your radiators aren’t getting as hot as they used to, it regularly breaks down or is leaking, and your boiler is making a lot of noise it may be time to consider replacing your boiler. You may also find your boiler is costing you more as it isn’t running as efficiently as it used to and could cost you more in the long run.
Who will be fitting my new boiler?
A fully qualified, gas safe approved local engineer will be fitting your new boiler.
Why does my radiator have cold patches?
If a radiator is cold at the top then an air bubble could be the reason, this can be resolved simply by bleeding the radiator as required.

Cold patches at the bottom of the radiator could be a sign that the system is dirty and that sludge and debris are sitting in the bottom of the radiator. Cleaning this out can be complex and so professional assistance is advised.

Cold patches elsewhere on the radiator panel could be a blockage, again from debris but this time a blockage within the channel ways of the radiator, again this can be complex to resolve which may include a radiator replacement.
What can landlords look out for in between boiler services to potentially foresee issues etc. ?
This isn’t an easy question to answer.

If the boiler is inspected and serviced on a regular basis then the boiler should function without issue. If the system is a combi boiler or a pressurised system then the pressure on the gauge either on the boiler or airing cupboard when the system is cold should read approximately 1 bar. With the system operating on heating then the pressure should be a little higher but not greater than 3 bar.

If it is greater than 3 bar then the figure can be an indication that a fault is developing and that attention from a gas registered engineer is required.

Other issues to look out for are cooler hot water temperatures at hot taps, cloudy hot water and slow flow or very noisy operation of boiler (banging, hissing, boom/thump sound on boiler start up).
How long does it take to install my new boiler?
It will depend on the boiler and your property but typically a new boiler installation can take 1-3 days.
How much will my new boiler cost?
A boiler only installation starts from around £2,250 and a complete new heating system starts from around £3,500. We can provide a fixed price quote, simply complete our quick quote form and start your journey to a new boiler.

Home Owners 

What should I look out for when buying a home?
It is recommended that each of the services (gas and electrical) be safety and operationally inspected as part of the home buying process especially if there isn’t a documented history of inspections

Once a property is purchased and issues arise then it’s often a case of an unforeseen and potential major expense that can take the shine off your “ideal” home.
Can I add an electrical installation report to my homebuyers report?
Yes you can add this on to your order when booking your report.
Do your engineers carry ID cards?
Yes all of our engineers carry ID cards so you can be confident in who you are letting into your home.
Can you install a full heating system?
Yes, one of our fully qualified engineers will be able to install a full heating system for you.
Are your engineers housetrained?
Our engineers will leave your home just as it was when they arrived. They take great care in wearing shoe covers as well as putting dust sheets down to ensure as little mess as possible.

Gas Safety

Can a room containing a gas appliance be used as a bedroom?
Any room converted to use as sleeping accommodation should not hold a gas fire, gas space heater or gas water heater (over 14 kilowatts) unless room sealed.

If the mentioned appliances are below 14 kilowatts, they must be either room sealed, or have an atmosphere sensing device. If a room contains one or more of these appliances, and has been used as a bedroom prior to 1998, a risk assessment must be carried out to determine whether it can still be used as a bedroom.
What happens if faults are found on annual gas safety inspections?
Gas safety checks are carried out by Gas Safety Registered engineers, and issued upon completion without delay and regardless of whether a defect has been detected. Landlords are responsible to add records of any follow up actions required, completing a full history on the property for gas safety.

Agent and Landlord Compliance Obligations

Landlord’s responsibilities for a gas connection property?
As a landlord you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. Gas Safety regulations; 1998 provide full details of duties which must be carried out to ensure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe for use and purpose. This Includes appliances that are within any communal area which tenants are permitted to use.

The Landlord is responsible for arranging the maintenance and repair of all provided flues, appliances and pipework, and to ensure these are carried out by a gas safe registered engineer.

You are also required to ensure an annual gas safety check is carried out within 10 to 12 months of a new appliance installation or flue. Records of these safety checks must be kept for a minimum on 2 years and these must be issued to existing tenants within 28 days of completion. Copies are to be issued to new tenants prior to them occupying the property.

Landlord Responsibilities in England

Landlord Responsibilities in Wales

Landlord Responsibilities in Scotland

Are letting agents responsible for maintenance & safety checks?
If you decide to use a property management service, make sure your contract clearly identifies who is responsible for making arrangements for maintenance and safety checks.

The HSE strongly advise that you, as a landlord, receive reports for any works and checks carried out on your property. This is to ensure all maintenance and safety services are completed, enabling you to fulfil your legal obligations as a landlord.
Can our tenants claim directly?
Yes, claims are accepted directly from the tenants or your authorised representative.
Can my tenants be responsible for the gas safety of the property?
No, however your tenant has a duty not to use an appliance they believe to be dangerous. An agreement may be drawn up for an appliance or flue installed in a non-residential part of the premises, for example a shop or public house.
What happens if faults are found on annual gas safety inspections?
Gas safety checks are carried out by Gas Safety Registered engineers, and issued upon completion without delay and regardless of whether a defect has been detected. Landlords are responsible to add records of any follow up actions required, completing a full history on the property for gas safety.

Electrical Safety

What is an EICR?
An Electric Installation Condition Report (EICR) is produced following an assessment of the properties hardwired electrical system, which typically consists of the consumer unit, wiring, sockets, and switches. An EICR should be carried out at least every 5 years.
What is the difference between and EICR and a PAT test?
Whilst the EICR assesses the condition of the property’s ‘built in’ electrical system, a portable appliance test (PAT) covers the plug-in appliances, such as a television, or white goods. PAT tests should be carried out at least once a year.
Can both an EICR and a PAT be carried out at the same time?
Heat Care are able to conveniently carry out both inspections at the same time ensuring the safety of your tenant’s home environment.

How do we work?

Who do I contact to discuss setting up an account?
If you are interested in any of our services or would like to have a chat about coming on-board as one of our clients, please contact us on 0800 041 8614 or you can send an email to
Do you have an online portal so we can check our live jobs?
Yes, we have an online portal for tracking every Heat Care job, at every stage, for every property.
Do you contact us the following year with inspection renewals?
Yes, each year a member of our scheduling team will be in touch to get you booked in for your renewal.
Will I be assigned an account manager so I can discuss any queries or requirements?
Yes, you will be assigned an account manager to answer any queries along each step of the way.
Can I speak to someone if I have a question about purchasing a heat care plan?
You can call us on 0800 041 8614 Monday – Friday 9-5:30 with any queries or to purchase a boiler care plan.
How many callouts are included?
Unlike many boiler cover plans on our policies callouts are unlimited.
Are the parts and labour included?
As this is not an insurance service, for each breakdown a single fixed repair fee of £31.25 will be charged in respect of the initial callout, parts & labour.

Ask us a Question

More Help and Advice

Engineers in home

Latest News

Keep up to date with latest industry announcements, helpful advice and tips, company news and more by reading some of our latest news.
Woman on phone to engineer about broken boiler

Boiler Fault Codes

Your boiler helps identify the problem often through a fault or error code. Find out the most common boiler faults and let us help get your boiler back up and running.